Sunday, April 23, 2017

Life Changes and Identity Formation

Dear Annie,

First of all, how sweet it was to see you this weekend! What a fun and restful time in Riverside--there was laughter and silly jokes yet so many moments of soul-filling conversation. I felt like I finally had the mental space to process some upcoming major life changes and what that means for my identity, worth, and impact in the world.

Student -> Graduate; Californian -> Coloradan; Graduate -> Employee; 'Single' -> Married

I know many of these categories are unique to my life in these next few months, but I think (and hope) the feelings of uncertainty I'm feeling regarding these major life changes are common to the human experience. Don't get me wrong, I'm not uncertain about whether or not I should do all of these things, but it's the uncertainty of what my life will look like 5 months from now that's kind of unsettling. For me, it begs the question, if my life will be so different in 5 months, what will I be like? After four years at the same college in the same city with the same community, life is pretty comfy right now--I know who I am and where I 'fit'. But will those feelings remain when everything around me changes?

It's undeniable that these past four years have forced me to root my identity in Christ more than I have in my entire life, yet recently it's been obvious that I still have so much more growing to do. I've never not been a student, and I've tried really hard to be a good student. However, it's much harder to realize that because of Jesus I've never not been a daughter of the King, and I don't have to try hard to be good at that because he already calls me good (and beloved, adored, powerful, etc.). It's hard to internalize that my identity is already found in Christ, not something I have to search for after all of these life changes are completed. 


Annie, you've gone through some major life changes in the past year--any wisdom or insight on identity formation/acceptance you've learned, whether through experience, scripture, or the counsel of others?

Lord, help us trust that you are who you say you are, and that we are who you say we are because of your Son.

With Love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment