Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Carry On, Warrior

Dear Rachel,

You got that right - forced rest is a helpful kickstart to those who are high functioning and performing (at least for me it was!). Especially in light of the "residual stress" you talked about and the feelings of anxiety it allowed to linger, what has rest felt like for your mind, body, and spirit? Can you name noticeable changes in your attitude or overall perspective since you have rested in this season? Do you think this period of "resting well" will allow you to also transition well?

How cool that you associated the idea of rest with the anticipation of a transition. I feel like often times I view the time before change as a space for me to gear up, get ready, and actively prepare - to worry and to hustle. But I love that God commands us to rest! He knows we need it! And I love that he has given you this time of rest before a few big changes in your life...He knows what you'll need and He'll be the one to carry you through those transitions.

Yesterday, I had an interesting realization during my normal walk at work. I was listening to worship music and all the sudden got this feeling that this time of praise was preparing me for "battle." I think about Joshua and how their weapons as they were surrounding the walls of Jericho were instruments to sing praise to God. However, I wasn't sure why I was considering the remainder of my day a "battle"... seems a little extreme for a corporate job. But little did I know! The remainder of my day was marked by little battles for my mind as several overwhelming demands and difficult situations were presented to me by coworkers. Instead of feeling overwhelmed, I felt prepared and cared for - that God would prepare me to fight well for His truth and that I would cling to His promises as I was trying to navigate these difficult circumstances and work through the overwhelming demands. In the midst of the business, I felt protected because my identity was secure.

"Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your Heavenly Father feeds them. And aren't you far more valuable than they are?" - Matthew 6:26



When I rest and worship, I take God's truth into my outer world. When I hustle and worry, I live by my own understanding. Rest and worship seem to both prepare us well for the battles ahead, big or small, anticipated or unannounced, as Scripture affirms.

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding....

Both this season of rest and these times of worship have allowed me to approach the outside world with a clear head and a patient heart, which I only am given by the grace of God and the hope His redemption provides.

Cheers to more rest and worship for our good and His glory!

Love,
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment